Saturday, September 1, 2012

Dragoncon 2012



    The one word I can use for today that sums it up?  Awesome.  Yep, that'll do it.  Tomorrow will be 17 years that Donnie and I have been married.  It hasn't always been easy, but it's always been meant to be.  This year, instead of the annual dinner out and home with the kids by 9, we went to Dragoncon in Atlanta. 
   
    My first thought, it won't be too different from home, it's just Georgia.  Damn was I wrong.  The drive itself was overwhelming.  I can drive the hell outta a red dirt country road, always said I shoulda been a racecar driver, but these 7 lane interstates took my breath.  The traffic wasn't really that bad, just way more cars on way more sides than I'm use to.  Donnie did the navigating, I did the driving.  (May need to look into a new navigator, he's been fired since the first time he pointed and mumbled instead of just saying left or right.)  All in all, we made it to the hotel in Atlanta safe and sound Friday night.

    After checking in we needed a few things and being the Alabama girl I am I was able to easily find the nearest Wal-Mart.  Now, here's where I get amazed.  The Wal-Mart here has underground parking.  No big deal, I've seen that.  What I haven't see is escalators for your buggy.  That's right, your buggy rides down all by itself on it's own little escalator.  That just tickled the hell outta me and much to my disappointment Donnie refused to let me ride down with the buggy.  (I will ride that damn thing one day.) 

    After a good nights *cough* rest, we headed for downtown Atlanta.  I have never been cramped in a crowd like that before and I will never again complain about how crowded it is at the fair in Montgomery.  I'm only 5'2, so that puts me just at armpits height.  Now, by no means am I saying anyone stunk, but a few hours worth of non-stop walking in mid-day humidity will make anyone "not so fresh" and my serious lack of height did not help my situation.  Also, tall folks don't tend to see us shorter people, so I had a lot of "sorrys" and "my bads" thrown in my direction after being stepped on.  The folks were a little rough, but very friendly about it.

    The main reason I came was to meet Amber Benson, Joe Manganiello, and Neilsen Ellis.  I met all three and I promise you, Mr. Manganiello is just too freakin pretty.  I did get his autograph but taking his pick was a no no, along with Neilsen Ellis.  I did however get to take a picture with Amber Benson.  I can honestly say she was one of the nicest people I have met.  I ended up having to revisit her after I left because my ever so brilliant husband deleted the first picture while trying to look at it.  (Note to self, never let Donnie play with the camera again.)  I was almost in tears when I realized what he had done, but Ms. Amber saved him from a very unpleasant anniversary.

    To sum it up, it's been a blast.  I can't believe the day is over for us, but then again, I can't wait to go home and see my sweet babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment